For a number of years, The Workspace has involved experts in publishing articles for entrepreneurs and small businesses. These tackle a wide range of topics – from starting and marketing a business to managing money, impressing clients and more.
It may be useful to have a set of resources in one place. So we’ve put together a collection of some of our best articles for entrepreneurs.
Getting started as a small business or freelancer
For entrepreneurs who are just getting started, we recommend these articles:
- Starting a Business in South Africa: a simply written guide to starting a company in South Africa, from choosing a business structure and registering the company to signing up for unemployment insurance.
- 9 Useful Online Resources for South African Entrepreneurs: a round-up of useful digital resources for entrepreneurs, with links to SARS, the CIPC and small business funding agencies, as well as SA-specific resources for entrepreneurs (like The SME Toolkit) and some suggested software tools and platforms.
Funding for entrepreneurs
For many small businesses and entrepreneurs, one of the greatest challenges is finding funding.
Business basics for entrepreneurs
Below we offer links to resources on a range of small business basics, from planning to money management and tax tips.
Business analysis and planning
A business plan can guide your growth and may help you secure funding. The results of competitor analysis can feed into the business strategy you develop.
- How To Create a Business Plan
- Getting Started with Competitor Analysis: Steps and Links to Free Templates
Articles on a range of topics for streamlining a small business and ensuring operations run smoothly:
- Being Agile as a Small Business
- Ways to Make Meetings More Effective
- Keeping Remote Workers Motivated: 7 Simple Strategies
- Small Businesses: When Is It Worth Getting a Consultant?
Small business recruitment
An entrepreneur whose business grows is likely to need help. That means bringing in new people, whether full-time or on a contract basis.
- Hiring the Right Employees for Your Small Business
- Outsourcing for Small Businesses: What to Consider
Impressing clients and managing customers as a small business
Some tips for meeting and impressing clients, and satisfying customers:
- Meeting Clients: How To Make an Impression
- Freelancer Tips: Top Ways to Impress Clients if You’re Self-Employed
- Predicting and Preventing Customer Complaints
- How To Write Ts & Cs for Your Business
Money management for entrepreneurs
Managing money is at the heart of any business. No matter what a company does, issues like budgeting, cost cutting, making sense of financial statements
- Understanding Financial Statements for Your Small Business
- Money Management Tips for Freelancers
- Small Business Budgeting Tips for 2019
- Top Ways for Small Businesses to Save Money
- 15 of the Best Ways to Save Your Business Money
- 9 Ways to Reduce Business Bank Charges
- 4 Ways to Cut Business Communication Costs
If you work as a freelancer or contractor, also consider our article, Setting Freelance Rates in South Africa: A Straightforward Guide.
Tax tips for entrepreneurs and freelancers
Along with having to manage money, all businesses and self-employed individuals are faced with having to keep and submit proper tax records.
Internet marketing and social platforms are giving small businesses a better chance than ever before of competing with big business.
Here we cover some low-cost marketing ideas for entrepreneurs:
- 9 Low-Cost or Free Marketing Ideas for South African Entrepreneurs
- 7 Tips for Marketing Your Small Business over the Holidays
- Video Marketing for Small Businesses: A Serious Money Maker
- How Freelancers Can Use Social Media Marketing to Boost Business
- Promoting a Small Business: Tips for Face-to-Face Networking
- Black Friday Marketing Ideas for Online Businesses
- 12 Christmas Marketing Ideas for Small Businesses
We also explain how to get a Google My Business listing (vital for online marketing) if you operate from a managed work environment such as The Workspace:
For interest: how work is changing (and where entrepreneurs fit in)
Radical shifts are occurring in the world of work. The internet, the gig economy, automation and artificial intelligence are reshaping the ways work is done.
- The Future of Work in South Africa: What’s Changing and What Skills You’ll Need
- Office Trends: Changing the Ways We Work
Often, entrepreneurs are positioned to respond to change faster than large, firmly established companies. With no equivalent of the Titanic to turn, they can capitalise on new technologies and trends, and introduce new solutions.
Motivation for entrepreneurs
Running a business isn’t easy! Be inspired by success stories from other entrepreneurs, across Africa and in our own country.
- 10 of South Africa’s Top Women Entrepreneurs
- African Success Stories, I
- African Success Stories, II
- African Success Stories, III
- Inspirational Business Quotations to See You Through 2018 (these apply just as much today!)
What The Workspace offers
The following articles provide a bit more information about what we offer:
- What’s Included
- Meeting Rooms and Boardrooms at The Workspace
- Leading the Way: Business Assistance for Entrepreneurs at our Jo’burg CBD Branch
Keep an eye on our blog for more useful articles for entrepreneurs and small businesses.