Ballito is the fastest growing town in South Africa. If you’re thinking of making the move or have recently relocated, here’s a roundup of what you need to know about living and working in Ballito.
The perfect work/life balance
Ballito’s combination of a gorgeous beach, year-round sub-tropical climate and well-developed infrastructure mean it’s the perfect environment for achieving work/life balance.
Ballito is attracting increasing numbers of professionals and freelancers who work remotely. Many Ballito residents also run their own businesses or are employed locally.
Ballito is a 30-minute drive (around 40 km) north of Durban and just 15 minutes’ from King Shaka International Airport.
The flight to Jo’burg takes one hour, making business trips to Gauteng easy. Some professionals even opt to stay in Gauteng for a few days a week, returning to Ballito on Thursday or Friday.
Work opportunities in Ballito
A now significant population and rapidly developing infrastructure mean there are increasing job opportunities in Ballito.
Ballito is home to a healthy array of businesses.
Looking for something specific in Ballito? Try one of these Ballito business directories:
Coworking and office space in Ballito, with The Workspace
The Workspace Ballito offers fully serviced offices and coworking in stylish, comfortable surroundings. It’s ideal for freelancers, contractors, independent professionals and small businesses.
The branch also offers special packages for corporate workers based in Ballito.
All members have access to meeting rooms, free high-speed internet and on-site business support services. The branch also features a roof-top braai area for functions and a relaxing courtyard. Totally Ballito!
Our branch is located in the heart of Ballito’s commercial centre, in easy walking distance of the Ballito Lifestyle Centre, Ballito Junction and other popular shops and restaurants. 0861 250 259
Ballito emergency numbers
For help in an emergency, dial 10177 (the same emergency number as for anywhere in South Africa) or dial 112 from a cell phone.
Other useful emergency numbers in Ballito are:
- SAPS KwaDukuza 032-551-8200/8206
- Ballito Fire & Emergency Services 032-946-2711/3188
- Ballito Urban Improvement Precinct 24hr Emergency 086-111-1588
- KwaDukuza Municipal Emergency 032-437-5570
- Ballito NSRI 060-305-4803.
Ballito attractions and leisure activities
Ballito’s most popular beaches are:
- Willard Beach, in central Ballito – equally popular with hip youngsters, families and surfers
- Thompson’s Bay Beach, which has lifeguards and shark nets and features picturesque coves
- Salt Rock Beach, a wide golden-sand beach with plenty of parking, near interesting tidal pools.
There are also many more Ballito attractions away from the ocean. A few options for weekend outings are:
- Sugar Rush Park, with a beautiful location and a range of family-friendly activities
- 340 kilometres of biking andrunning trails atHolla Trails
- Flag Animal Farm
- Ndondlo Reptile Park.
Shopping and eating in Ballito
If you enjoy shopping and eating out, don’t think you’ll be shortchanged in Ballito. The Ballito Junction Regional Mall, which opened in 2017, is home to 200 stores, including Woolworths, Pick n Pay and Game.
According to Business Tech, the mall attracted 12 million people during its first year – more shoppers than the Rosebank or Clearwater malls in Gauteng. It also added an estimated 1,500 new and part-time jobs to the local economy.
Other shopping centres include:
- the relaxed Ballito Lifestyle Centre
- The Quarter Ballito Shopping Centre, which is in easy walking distance of our Ballito branch; it’s also home to the Ilembe Chamber of Commerce, the “voice of business on the North Coast”
- The Litchi Orchard, a “collective of passionate, food, home and lifestyle small business owners” – it includes a range of food and lifestyle shops, as well as a mid-month Makers’ Market and seasonal Orchard Nights.
TripAdvisor is a good source for finding popular Ballito restaurants and coffee shops, which are in abundance.
A few local favourites, according to our members at The Workspace in Ballito:
- Mozambik Ballito, for great seafood
- Zaras Café, for breakfast, lunch or coffee and a custard slice
- Grandstand Sports Bar and Grill, for relaxing after work.
Ballito schools and hospitals
At The Workspace in Ballito, we offer affordable, fully serviced offices and coworking, and all our members have access to meeting rooms, boardrooms and a range of business services. For more information or to book a tour of our Ballito branch, call us on or contact us online.